Finding talent that’s loyal and dedicated to your company has always been important to succeeding in the corporate business world, especially today with employee turnover rates steadily increasing. Since 2010, turnover rates have increased by an astonishing 88% despite the fact that more and more people enter the US workforce every year. In 2021 alone, 42% of American companies said employee turnover had increased that year, costing them an average of $26,511 in lost productivity. This number can get even higher for larger companies, especially when they must replace highly skilled employees.
It is crucial to create a supportive and engaging work environment where employees enjoy coming to work and can see themselves doing so for years to come. It also makes recognizing and rewarding those who have been with your company for 5, 10, 15, 20 years or more important. You should show them how thankful you are for their years of dedicated work not only because they deserve it but also because it will show shorter-tenured employees the kind of treatment they can expect if they work for your company for 5, 10 or even 20 years.
Why Are Years of Service Awards Important?
Years of service awards serve as a way to acknowledge the accumulated knowledge and experience of long-term employees. These individuals can serve as mentors and role models for newer employees, helping to create a positive and supportive work culture. Another benefit of years of service awards is that they can help to build a sense of community and camaraderie among employees. When employees are recognized for their longevity with the company, it can foster a sense of pride and connection to their colleagues and the organization as a whole.
Benefits of Service Awards for Employees
- Improved morale: Service awards can help to boost employee morale by recognizing their hard work and dedication to the company. When employees feel valued, they are more likely to be motivated and engaged in their work. Learn more about how to boost employee morale in the workplace.
- Increased retention: Service awards can serve as a way to retain top talent by showing employees that they are valued and appreciated. This can be especially important for long-term employees who have made significant contributions to the organization.
- Recognition of experience and knowledge: Service awards can acknowledge the accumulated knowledge and experience of long-term employees, helping to recognize their contributions to the company.
- Sense of accomplishment: Receiving a service award can provide employees with a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work. This can be especially meaningful for employees who have been with the company for many years.
- Enhanced reputation: Companies that show appreciation for their employees through service awards can enhance their reputation as a great place to work. This can be beneficial for attracting and retaining top talent in the future.
- Positive work culture: Service awards can help to create a positive and supportive work culture by recognizing and valuing the contributions of employees. This can foster a sense of camaraderie and community within the workplace.
- Increased productivity: When employees feel valued and recognized, they are more likely to be productive and motivated. Service awards can help to increase productivity by boosting employee morale and engagement.
- Flexible rewards: Service awards can take many forms, such as a certificate, trophy, plaque, cash bonus, or additional time off. This allows employers to tailor the reward to the preferences of the employee.
What Do You Write in a Years of Service Award?
There are a few key elements that you should include when writing years of service award. Here are some suggestions for what to include:
- The employee's name: Make sure to clearly state the employee's name on the award.
- The number of years of service: This is the most important part of the award, so make sure to include the specific number of years the employee has been with the company.
- A message of congratulations and appreciation: This is your opportunity to express your gratitude and admiration for the employee's hard work and dedication. You might want to include specific examples of the employee's contributions to the company.
- The date: Include the date on which the award is being presented
- Your name and title: Make sure to include your name and title as the person presenting the award.
- The company's logo or name: Include the company's logo or name on the award to make it clear who is presenting the award.
Here is an example of what you might write on years of service award:
"Congratulations [Employee Name] on [number] years of service with [Company Name]! We are grateful for your hard work and dedication to our organization. Your contributions have been invaluable, and we are proud to recognize your achievement. Thank you for your commitment to excellence.
Presented on [Date]
[Your Name], [Your Title]”
What Do You Get For Employee For Years of Service?
There are many options for what you can get an employee for their years of service in addition to giving them a “Years of Service Award”. Some ideas might include:
- A cash bonus: This can be a meaningful way to show your appreciation for the employee's hard work and dedication.
- Additional time off: Giving the employee an additional week or two of vacation time can be a generous and appreciated reward.
- A gift card or gift certificate: This can give the employee the opportunity to choose something they would enjoy, such as a gift card to a favorite store or restaurant.
- A special meal or outing: Taking the employee out for a special meal or event, such as a concert or sporting event, can be a fun and memorable way to celebrate their milestone.
- A piece of jewelry or other personal item: This can be a more personal and sentimental gift, such as a watch or piece of jewelry.
Ultimately, the best reward will depend on the preferences and interests of the employee. It can be helpful to ask for their input and ideas when deciding on a gift for their years of service in the company.
Personalized Employee Service Awards
When deciding what to get an employee for their years of service, you should consider how you’ll want to personalize their award. Personalized awards will always be received better than a generic one because they show that an employer put a lot more time and effort into selecting the award, and this makes employees feel more appreciated. Every recognition award we offer can be personalized, and each offer several lines of customizable text in addition to space for the employee’s name.
Additional Resources for Employee Recognition and Appreciation
- 100+ Employee Recognition & Appreciation Award Wording Ideas
- 16 Employee Appreciation Activities & Events
- How to Recognize your Top Performing Employees
- How to Give Awards to EMployees: Virtual Edition
- Rebooting Your Company’s Employee Recognition Program
About the Company - Why Order Employee Awards from EDCO?
Here is why you should order with EDCO Awards & Specialties:
- Responsive in-house team
- Been in business for over 45 years
- Guaranteed on-time delivery
- Highest quality products
- Lowest Price Promise
- Free engraving & shipping